Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mutant potato chickpea korma

Just as well we like curry, because we are going to be eating it for the next few days... It was meant to be a small potato and chick pea curry that just escalated into a huge saucepan filling vegetable/legume/curry free-for-all.

It all started going wrong when I failed to read the back of the pack of Sharwoods korma paste. I had cooked the potato cubes, and chickpeas, and poured a can of coconut milk in to simmer. After industriously scooping half the jar of paste into the saucepan and stirring it in, I decided to give a little taste test since the sauce was darker than I expected. I've never used a curry paste before. I just assumed it was like a jar of pasta sauce where you add the whole thing in. Apparently I was only meant to put in 3 tablespoons... With way too much curry paste, it was totally inedible. I had to add 2 more cans of coconut milk and a pack of soyatoo cooking cream to save it...

Now I was left with a big pot of curry sauce, that had a few sad chickpeas and potato bits floating in it here and there... So I rummaged through the crisper and the pantry to see what I had. I came up with half a cauliflower, a head of broccoli, a can of brown lentils and a can of kidney beans, which all went in the pot.

The end result was actually really tasty... Phew, nice save! I served it with some fried garlic chapattis (mission food  brand) and some extra soyatoo cream on top. Luckily Kev enjoyed it, and went back for seconds so we only have 2 days worth of leftovers now rather than 3...


I also had a bit of a brain fart and forgot to cook rice to serve with the curry. All round not the best of nights in the kitchen... I'm going to be more careful to read directions on labels for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment