Earlier in the week I made a batch of strawberry sorbet. The flavours of star anise and strawberry go together really well and I just love the smell of star anise so jump at any opportunity to use it. I've also found myself making more raw food of late, so rather than make a sorbet with a boiled sugar syrup to infuse the star anise quickly, I left the star anise to sit in lime juice for a few hours to infuse the flavour.
|Star anise - it smells awesome and looks cool too|
Strawberry and Star Anise sorbet:
This made about half a litre of sorbet.
- 3 punnets of strawberries (750grams)
- 2 limes
- 3 star anise
- 1/3 cup of agave (double this if you prefer a sweeter sorbet, I prefer mine a little tart)
- Zest and juice the limes, setting the zest aside for later.
- Crush the star anise a little bit and add to the lime juice. Leave this to sit covered for a few hours to infuse. I left mine for 4 hours. If you do not want to wait, gently heat the juice a little to reduce the infusing time.
- Remove the star anise from the lime juice.
- Place strawberries, lime juice, zest and agave into a blender and puree.
If like me you don't have one, you can get great textured sorbet by doing the following:
- Pour the mix into a baking tray and place it in the freezer.
- When mix is nearly frozen, scrape it back into the blender and blend till smooth. Pour the mix back into the tray and return it to the freezer.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times then scape the mix into a storage container and return to the freezer for a couple of hours before eating.